In a recent Content Marketing Institute article, Brian Kardon, CMO of Lattice Engines, shares his transformation from a self-proclaimed “press release CMO” — pedigreed, gray haired, and no longer relevant in a marketing world—to modern marketer. He also shares five tips on content marketing he learned along the way for those looking to become—or remain—a modern marketer:
- There is no substitute for doing. According to Kardon, “the only way to become a modern marketer is to do it.” Try new tools and apps. Be active in social media. Write blog posts. The more you do it, the better you get.
- Learn from the best—the people out front. Surround yourself with industry leaders and learn everything you can from them.
- Don’t fear mistakes—they are chances to learn. When you make mistakes, use them as an opportunity to discuss what happened and what you learned. Do the same with successes to understand why it worked and how to do it again.
- When you go to a pizza place, don’t order a bagel. Get the most out of your partners by trusting their instincts and learning from them.
- Get out of the ‘hood. Break the habit of trying to recreate past success by hiring people you’ve worked with previously. Kardon recommends looking toward new successes by trying new technologies and agencies that are less proven than many CMOs would find acceptable.
By learning and living by these important lessons, Kardon was able to avoid becoming obsolete within his marketing organization and evolve into a forward-thinker. This mentality and momentum, aside from bringing success to his marketing program, also allowed him to further his own successful career.
What are some lessons you’ve learned on becoming—and staying—a modern marketer?